17/09/2010

looking at film trailer


X-Men Origins: Wolverine Trailer



Doesn’t tell you a lot with just the trailer, just a snapshot of what it is about. This is good because it makes people want to go and see the film to find out what will happen.
Very quick changes between the different shots, this increases the action and tension of the whole trailer, as it does not let you focus on anything for to long.



Green lantern trailer

Action film, big budget, shows a clear main character straight away.
CGI wasn’t to a high standard so probably a lower budget then the x men film. Shows some of the story in the opening bits like when the alien falls to earth and sends his ring out to find the main character.

control

Control
Tell you a bit of the storey through the trailer.
 There is also never a shot on screen for more then 5’s and all of the shots are different.
The entire mood of the trailer changes around half way through, this is signaled by a change in the music and the main character shouting at his wife. There are two main tracks through out the entire trailer; these are both tracks by the people that the film is based on.
There is text coming up every now and then showing parts of reviews, saying for example “amazing” or “brilliant”
The music also cuts out at various points so you can hear specific parts of text, this happens three times through out the trailer, and at each point the mood changes slightly with the first two and then drastically during the third. This middle section is also the only section where you hear and see the main character talking as a narrator for a long amount of time, although he does have one line at the end, on which the trailer ends on.

8 mile


 8mile
*Opening shot showing a charter who you later find out is the main character walking away from the camera with a bin bag over his shoulder. You then see the same character in a different scene telling a nursery rhyme to someone that looks like they are his daughters. Then cuts to black with text showing who directed the film at the bottom of the screen. After this a backing track starts which then continues over all of the rest of the trailer.
*There are many fast paced shots as with the control trailer. This helps to keep the audiences interest through out trailer.
*There is a clear storey being told within the trailer, but it still leaves enough gaps to make sure that you don’t know everything within the film, and still have to go and see it.



what i have gathered from looking at these trailers
Now I have looked at all of these different trailers I have picked up on a lot of consistent themes and trends that I will use in my trailer.
The things I want in my trailer:
I think that the film would work best if I shot it in POV (point of view) as this would lead to the viewer feeling like they are seeing it from the characters eyes.
I would also like the trailer to include shots from a bike; I think these would be good as they would be fast and high action and movement. (I would want these to be shot in a skate park environment so that there are a lot of different angle shots on the ramps.)
I don’t really want to show too much of the story as from watching the other trailers it is not drastically needed to make a great trailer. This has lead to me thinking I am going to make it without the career element within the trailer just with the affect of the drugs on his perception of reality and the world around him.
I think a good way of doing this would be linking different shots of say the sky or trees and then having jumps between the scenes with these being key, for example, the bike could go over a jump and get a shot of the sky, this would then lead to another shot of the sky but when it comes back to ground level it would be in a different place, thus showing a jump in movement or time. I could also do it with people.
This would work by me taking two similar shots at two different times, this could lead to people appearing and disappearing, I think this would work well but may take a couple of shots. I was also thinking I could show some very fast short shots in-between these, like flashing images of the drugs and pills that the main character has been taking. I think I will have to be careful choosing what drugs to use in these shots, as I don’t want the images to look like prescription drugs. For these shots I think I will use high angle and close up shots of the substances.
A shot of the main character, shot into the sun or in a darker environment so that you cant see all there face thus adding mystery to the film trailer making people want to go and see the actual film.
Other character shots within the film trailer Flashing up. Much similar to the effect I want to do with the drugs theme with in the film.
I have also decided to add in some text, like an important line within the film, or something similar.
I think I also need to keep all of the sequences within the film quite short so the entire trailer is faster paced and edgy. Similar to the control trailer